Phoenix Labs is looking to hire an experienced Senior Services Software Engineer. The ideal candidate must have effective communication skills being able to work side by side with programmers, designers and production staff. They will be passionate about owning a reliable high-traffic web application and game code to support a player experience on PC, console, and mobile. The Senior Services Engineer will be responsible for the design and implementation of robust, secure, and scalable web services, as well as client side integration of these services into player-facing applications.
This is a full-time permanent position located at our Vancouver studio. Due to the nature of information security, complexity of the daily work and other factors, we strongly prefer that the successful candidate be onsite once it’s safe to do so.
Applicants must live within commuting distance to the Vancouver studio. This is a full-time, permanent position. This job is unsuitable for remote employees.
- Work with project leads in cross-discipline teams, to design, implement, and support reliable, secure, and scalable backend web services
- Design, implement, and support the Integration of third party online services into client and server applications
- Create and maintain online services such as matchmaking or telemetry pipelines
- Make architectural recommendations for performance, stability, and security.
- Ensure systems are in place to monitor application performance and detect defects in the live product.
- Assist with planning, estimation, and distribution of work.
- Help integrate services into client-facing applications.
- Help Production develop schedules and determine milestones.
- BSc. degree in Computing Science or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 8+ years experience building online services.
- Experience developing in Python and Java.
- Experience developing web applications and RESTful services.
- Experience with database technologies.
- Able to effectively architect large features and complex systems from end to end.
- Self-starter who works well within a creative team.
- Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Passion for multiplayer gaming.
- Experience supporting a live service with frequent refreshes of content and code.
- Experience architecting scalable solutions to support high-traffic and high-bandwidth loads.
- Experience with SCRUM / agile based methodologies.
- Experience planning for secure online deployments and operations.
- Experience with modern web analytics and data-driven product evolution.
About Phoenix Labs:
We make games because we love them, and because we love the way they bring people together.
When we established Phoenix Labs in 2014, it was with the hope of creating a place where diverse teams of people could come together to build deep multiplayer games. We've assembled an experienced, passionate team of developers across our studios in Vancouver, BC, Montréal, QC, San Mateo, CA, and Los Angeles, CA.
Our first game, Dauntless, launched in 2019, and was the first game ever to release with true crossplay and cross-progression. Since then, we've watched our community grow to 25 million players across four platforms. We're also backed by Garena, our long-time partner and one of the largest forces for gaming in Southeast Asia and emerging markets.
Learn more about our multi-studio strategy