COVID-19: This role is a full-time, permanent position in our San Mateo studio. Currently, our San Mateo team is working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. We'll continue to follow local government guidelines to keep our team safe. However, this position will not be remote in the long term. Once we're able to return to normal work conditions, this role will be onsite in San Mateo.
We are looking for a broadly experienced Gameplay Engineer to join our San Mateo studio and work on an original new IP. We strive to work in nimble, empowered teams that are aligned around bringing players together through deep multiplayer games. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
As a gameplay engineer, you will work collaboratively with the Product Director, design team and fellow engineers to architect and implement efficient, maintainable game systems. Our team puts creating great player experiences first and foremost, and you will be a critical part of making that possible. An ideal candidate will bring a strong optimization toolkit, comfort working in large codebases, and a track record of pushing the state of the art.
The successful candidate must have strong C++ skills and have a passion for problem solving in an R&D environment. The applicant must have experience developing highly efficient gameplay for a networked game. They must demonstrate prior ownership of systems with strong top-to-bottom design and implementation. This engineer should be self directed and passionate about great gaming experiences.
- Designs, prototypes, implements and test gameplay features and supporting systems.
- Produce tools or debug features to help designers or programmers develop gameplay features.
- Consult with other Engineers and Designers on the team to develop systems in support of R&D prototyping, as required.
- Coordinate with other teams to enhance R&D efforts collaboratively.
- 7+ years of software experience in the games industry.
- Comfortable working in an ambiguous R&D environment.
- Highly proficient in C++.
- Experience prototyping game features in a multiplayer environment.
- Strong debugging and optimization skills in a multi-threaded environment.
- Good knowledge of UE4 and Blueprints.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Has been responsible for driving the technical vision of a large system or area of the game.
- Driven and self-motivated.
- Deep knowledge of at least one of the following areas: AI, combat systems, network optimization, simulation systems.
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable working closely with designers and content developers — local and remote.
- Familiar with PC, console (XBox, PlayStation, Nintendo), and mobile development.
- Live service experience.
About Phoenix Labs:
We make games because we love them, and because we love the way they bring people together.
When we established Phoenix Labs in 2014, it was with the hope of creating a place where diverse teams of people could come together to build deep multiplayer games. We've assembled an experienced, passionate team of developers across our studios in Vancouver, BC, Montréal, QC, San Mateo, CA, and Los Angeles, CA.
Our first game, Dauntless, launched in 2019, and was the first game ever to release with true crossplay and cross-progression. Since then, we've watched our community grow to 25 million players across four platforms. We're also backed by Garena, our long-time partner and one of the largest forces for gaming in Southeast Asia and emerging markets.
Learn more about our multi-studio strategy