Phoenix Labs is looking for an exceptional, experienced Systems Designer to join our Los Angeles studio. This role will lead the systems design of a new IP, and working with an interdisciplinary team of designers, programmers, artists, and production staff on an R&D project.
For this role, the successful candidate will have strong communication skills and a passion for collaborative problem solving in an R&D environment. Working on an early stage game, this person will be part of a small and nimble team defining and shaping one of Phoenix Labs’ next game IPs.
Phoenix Labs is a dynamic and iterative environment. We pride ourselves on our ability to continuously improve and do hard things. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
This role is a full-time, permanent position in our Los Angeles studio. Currently, our team is working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We’ll continue to follow local government guidelines to keep our team safe. However, once we’re able to return to normal work conditions, this role will be onsite in Los Angeles, CA.
- Champion and shepherd the game’s system design, collaborating with the rest of the R&D team to nail down the game’s core systems and experiences.
- Design, implement, and iterate systems that help inform the game concept. This may include written design specs, spreadsheet simulations, pen-and-paper prototypes, or in-engine prototypes.
- Iterate on systems by running playtests, evaluating feedback, reviewing data, and proposing and implementing updates.
- Regularly facilitate discussions and brainstorming sessions on system designs.
- Can be relied on to effectively manage, support, and grow other designers.
- 10+ years experience in professional game design.
- Deep experience and proficiency in designing and implementing progression and engagement systems in-engine.
- Experienced at using data and analytics to inform game and systems tuning.
- Self-starter who is comfortable working in an early stage R&D environment with a small, collaborative, cross-functional team on an ambiguous and evolving problem space.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online game.
- Can create and iterate complex game systems, and anticipate player impact and downstream effects.
- Experience leading and growing a team of designers.
- Experience in social systems, meta-game systems, or monetization.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Proficiency at scripting in game engines.
- Experience working on a multi-platform game.
- Experience working on a live product.
About Phoenix Labs:
We make games because we love them, and because we love the way they bring people together.
When we established Phoenix Labs in 2014, it was with the hope of creating a place where diverse teams of people could come together to build deep multiplayer games. We've assembled an experienced, passionate team of developers across our studios in Vancouver, BC, Montréal, QC, San Mateo, CA, and Los Angeles, CA.
Our first game, Dauntless, launched in 2019, and was the first game ever to release with true crossplay and cross-progression. Since then, we've watched our community grow to 25 million players across four platforms. We're also backed by Garena, our long-time partner and one of the largest forces for gaming in Southeast Asia and emerging markets.
Learn more about our multi-studio strategy