Phoenix Labs are looking for a General Manager (GM) to lead our Vancouver studio, reporting to the CEO of Phoenix Labs. The GM will be responsible for leading the operations strategy at the studio.
The ideal candidate is an inspirational business & operational leader, who will set the tone & tenor of how work is done at the studio. The GM determines studio-level goals/targets and contributes at an organizational level by partnering with Product Directors & Phoenix Labs HQ, to ensure we have publishing and operational plans for our games, while leading teams responsible for HR/Employee Relations, Recruiting, IT, Finance/Payroll & Facilities. They are our key local leader; someone that exemplifies our culture, upholds our values, and is dedicated to building a mosaic culture in which all employees can thrive.
This job is unsuitable for remote employees & applicants must live within commuting distance to the Vancouver studio, or be willing to relocate. This is a full-time, permanent position
Applicants must live within commuting distance to the Vancouver studio. This is a full-time, permanent position. This job is unsuitable for remote employees.
- Ensures operational teams are focused on the most critical projects and that they deliver to a high-quality standard.
- Drive studio-level systems or programs, and influence changes and decisions that would have a studio level impact.
- Anticipate critical problem sets that will impact the studio in the medium and long term, working with various leaders/directors to properly mitigate them.
- Career management for key Directors within the studio.
- Fosters a community of practice with other Phoenix Labs studios and HQ in support of their local team.
- Lead or contribute to programs and initiatives related to engagement, fulfillment and well-being for our Vancouver studio employees.
- Primary interface with Phoenix Labs HQ for the Vancouver studio.
- Drives and owns staff planning & hiring for the Vancouver studio.
- Responsible for being the external face of the studio, including oversight of the local studio brand.
- Supports and facilitates HQ efforts with local trade groups and government relations.
- Responsible for managing all costs associated with Operations for the Vancouver location
- 10+ years of experience in the software industry, including a minimum of 5 years in video game development.
- 5 years of formal leadership and/or management experience of multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated experience in leading by influence to achieve shared goals & outcomes.
- Effective with written and verbal communications which are considerate of the target audience.
- Experience building teams, including recruiting and managing the full life cycle of an employee.
- Capable at building relationships and trust across the organization, both locally and with our HQ.
- Prior experience in a General Manager or Director of Operations role.
- Experience interfacing with press and media.
- Experience working in an Agile setting.
- Experience managing large budgets.
- Stays informed on trends related to Game Development and Organizational Development.
About Phoenix Labs:
We make games because we love them, and because we love the way they bring people together.
When we established Phoenix Labs in 2014, it was with the hope of creating a place where diverse teams of people could come together to build deep multiplayer games. We've assembled an experienced, passionate team of developers across our studios in Vancouver, BC, Montréal, QC, San Mateo, CA, and Los Angeles, CA.
Our first game, Dauntless, launched in 2019, and was the first game ever to release with true crossplay and cross-progression. Since then, we've watched our community grow to 25 million players across four platforms. We're also backed by Garena, our long-time partner and one of the largest forces for gaming in Southeast Asia and emerging markets.
Learn more about our multi-studio strategy