Phoenix Labs is looking for a seasoned and player-centric Director of Community to develop and grow game communities across multiple titles. The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of how communications, content, social media, and influencer relationships intersect and amplify each other, and is adept at both creating and guiding a team to create plans that cohesively bring all those aspects together. They are a champion for the voice of over 25 million players in the studio, as well as an authentic and reliable representative of Phoenix Labs to the community. They constantly seek to build trust and open communication between players and the studio.
Phoenix Labs is a dynamic, inclusive studio, and we pride ourselves on our ability to continually improve and take on new challenges. You will be joining a close-knit team of veteran game developers to build upon the breakout cross-platform success of Dauntless.
Applicants must live within commuting distance to the Vancouver studio. This is a full-time, permanent position. This job is unsuitable for remote employees.
- Define the studio’s vision and strategy for the community discipline.
- Manage and guide the community team owning the relationship with the player.
- Be the face of Phoenix Labs to the community and confident in being a public personality.
- Empower the studio to be world class at engaging in frequent, open, and honest conversations with players across reddit, social media, and Discord.
- Establish and steward the culture of Phoenix Labs’ community.
- Manage and mentor a team of 5-10 people, from associate level to principal.
- Develop strategy and content plans for both owned platforms and social media.
- Accountable for ensuring healthy relationships with earned influencers, inspire them to influence players authentically and in a way that supports brand.
- Able to plan and execute consumer events and trade shows with no oversight,.
- Inspire trust and promote a culture of transparency with our community.
- Leverage community feedback to inform game development and roadmap decisions.
- Develop not only budget for community discipline but also feedback into the larger publishing budget.
- 10+ years in a community or marketing role.
- Experience in working with gaming communities. Live service game community experience is highly preferred.
- Experience in career development and performance management with several direct reports.
- Adept at guiding and supporting a team as an inspirational leader.
- Expert written and verbal communication skills, including on camera.
- Experience building teams, including recruiting and interviewing new hires.
- Expert level familiarity in action RPG and MMO genres.
- Passionate about being data informed. Leverage data to make informed decisions, as well contribute to this practice across the team.
- Experience working with third parties including influencers and external communities.
- Deep knowledge of current community and content distribution channels, and the role they play in community and publishing strategy.
- Active Dauntless player.
- Experience interfacing with press and media.
- Familiar with HTML, markdown, and CMS.
- Experience with CRM and email.
- Proficient with basic Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop.
- Experience working in an Agile setting.
About Phoenix Labs:
We make games because we love them, and because we love the way they bring people together.
When we established Phoenix Labs in 2014, it was with the hope of creating a place where diverse teams of people could come together to build deep multiplayer games. We've assembled an experienced, passionate team of developers across our studios in Vancouver, BC, Montréal, QC, San Mateo, CA, and Los Angeles, CA.
Our first game, Dauntless, launched in 2019, and was the first game ever to release with true crossplay and cross-progression. Since then, we've watched our community grow to 25 million players across four platforms. We're also backed by Garena, our long-time partner and one of the largest forces for gaming in Southeast Asia and emerging markets.
Learn more about our multi-studio strategy