We are looking for a talented Design Director to join our Vancouver studio. This person will work on a new IP and will provide design leadership to multiple teams or teams-of-teams, creating memorable experiences for the player by helping cross-discipline teams with thoughtful solutions. They will work with the Head of Product to align the efforts of designers to the product strategy, helping teams to achieve great results for players consistently. Phoenix Labs is a dynamic and iterative environment and we pride ourselves on our ability to continually improve and do hard things.
Applicants must live within commuting distance to the Vancouver studio. This is a full-time, permanent position. This job is unsuitable for remote employees.
- Work with the Product Director to develop and advocate for the overall design vision of the game and player experience.
- Inspire other designers to a high standard around the craft and tools of design, ensuring the whole team is operating to a high quality standard.
- Advocate for relevant emerging trends in the game design space and how they can be adapted for the product. Highlight what current high-water marks look like within similar spaces in games and how those will drive player perception and expectations for the product.
- Mould a healthy collaborative problem solving environment across a cross-functional multidisciplinary organization, ensuring that design helps to elevate the strengths of the entire team.
- Experience leading design teams in shipping multiple titles or large multi-feature patches for live games.
- A track record of using iterative development to build and ship large-scale design features to millions of players.
- Experience building and managing a team of designers through strong articulation of a strategy and quality bar that resulted in a polished cohesive player experience.
About Phoenix Labs:
We make games because we love them, and because we love the way they bring people together.
When we established Phoenix Labs in 2014, it was with the hope of creating a place where diverse teams of people could come together to build deep multiplayer games. We've assembled an experienced, passionate team of developers across our studios in Vancouver, BC, Montréal, QC, San Mateo, CA, and Los Angeles, CA.
Our first game, Dauntless, launched in 2019, and was the first game ever to release with true crossplay and cross-progression. Since then, we've watched our community grow to 25 million players across four platforms. We're also backed by Garena, our long-time partner and one of the largest forces for gaming in Southeast Asia and emerging markets.
Learn more about our multi-studio strategy