Phoenix Labs, developers of Dauntless, are looking for a Technical Audio Designer to join our team. This role bridges the gap between Programming and Sound Design. You will be required to troubleshoot, de-bug and implement audio through scripting and node-based/object oriented programming.
This is a technical role and therefore familiarity with scripting languages, knowledge of C++ and an understanding/interest in Audio Programming is essential. The successful candidate will act as a liaison between Audio Designers and Software Engineers in all disciplines to reach our quality goals and improve systems and workflows.
The Technical Audio Designer will be the investigator, doing a deep dive on systems and sharing the findings with the Audio Director and team to improve our workflows and knowledge base. The successful candidate will have a direct role in developing new tech on exciting, creative and dynamic gameplay.
- Optimising audio development workflows.
- Authoring technical audio documentation.
- Troubleshooting errors and investigating solutions.
- Implementing new technology, updating Middleware to new projects and platforms.
- Pursuit of quality improvements as a result of critical listening.
- Sound design and mixing as necessary based on workload of the team.
- Liaison with multiple disciplines to reach audio goals.
- Manage audio data budget, Wwise SoundBank structure and loading, and run-time audio optimization.
- Work closely with various disciplines (art, design, and engineering) to ensure audio systems are incorporated into all aspects of game-play and fully realized.
- Help define the audio vision of the game by working with the Audio Director and Audio Team.
- 3+ years experience and at least 1 shipped title.
- Advanced knowledge of Unreal Blueprints.
- Passion for quality in Game Audio.
- Familiarity with industry standards for AAA Audio experiences.
- Experience in Middleware, DAWs, Plugins and audio software.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and obsessive attention to detail.
- Experience managing pipelines and build processes.
- Experience scripting in C#.
- Basic experience programming in C++.
- High level of proficiency with Wwise in Unreal and Unity.
- Proficiency in Sound Design using Reaper and other industry tools.
- Experience with DSP programming.
- Experience shipping a AAA game title.
About Phoenix Labs:
We make games because we love them, and because we love the way they bring people together.
When we established Phoenix Labs in 2014, it was with the hope of creating a place where diverse teams of people could come together to build deep multiplayer games. We've assembled an experienced, passionate team of 100+ developers across our locations in Vancouver, BC, and San Mateo, CA.
Our first game, Dauntless, launched in 2019, and was the first game ever to release with true crossplay and cross-progression. Since then, we've watched our community grow to 20+ million players across four platforms. We're also backed by Garena, our long-time partner and one of the largest forces for gaming in Southeast Asia and emerging markets.