Phoenix Labs is seeking a talented and broadly experienced Art Director to take the reins on a new, original IP title. You would partner with the VP of Creative, own the visuals and build and oversee the Art team moving forward. Additionally you would work with the Lead Product Manager, Technical Director, and Design Director to chart the future course of the product.
Applicants must live within commuting distance to the Vancouver studio. This is a full-time, permanent position. This job is unsuitable for remote employees.
- Own the art style and art quality of the game.
- Maintain a high quality bar for visuals, and hold the team accountable for hitting it.
- Regulate stylistic consistency of art content.
- Maintain the Style Guide.
- Work with the Recruiting Team to handle art staffing as needs arise.
- Inspire a team of artists, provide support to art leads, and help them grow in their careers.
- Ensure content is created with gameplay requirements and technical specifications in mind, to ensure that art, design and technology converge to create the best possible product.
- Provide feedback on art content as it’s produced.
- The ability to work through people and inspire others to excel.
- A keen eye for visuals, understanding what good looks like in terms of composition, palette, silhouette, and motion.
- An understanding of the importance of visual and thematic consistency, and how to achieve it.
- Working knowledge of Maya or equivalent 3D software.
- Experience building, and managing, teams.
- The ability to thrive in and promote a culture of collaboration and transparency.
- Good visual, written & verbal communication skills.
- The ability to lead remote employees.
- Some experience in multiple facets of game development: concept art, modeling, sculpting, animation, graphic design, illustration, VFX, tech art.
- Experience working with Agile.
- Experience working with the Unreal Engine.
- Experience with non-photorealistic art styles.
About Phoenix Labs:
We make games because we love them, and because we love the way they bring people together.
When we established Phoenix Labs in 2014, it was with the hope of creating a place where diverse teams of people could come together to build deep multiplayer games. We've assembled an experienced, passionate team of developers across our studios in Vancouver, BC, Montréal, QC, San Mateo, CA, and Los Angeles, CA.
Our first game, Dauntless, launched in 2019, and was the first game ever to release with true crossplay and cross-progression. Since then, we've watched our community grow to 25 million players across four platforms. We're also backed by Garena, our long-time partner and one of the largest forces for gaming in Southeast Asia and emerging markets.
Learn more about our multi-studio strategy