Phoenix Labs is looking for a talented and broadly experienced Art Director to join our San Mateo team. As our first Director-level artist in this office, the successful candidate will build an art team from the ground up, and own the art style and quality of an original IP title.
- Own the art style and art quality of the game.
- Establish a high quality bar for visuals, and hold the team accountable for hitting it.
- Regulate stylistic consistency across all art content.
- Create and maintain a Style Guide for the game.
- Work with the recruiting team to build out a new art team.
- Manage the careers of all artists at the San Mateo location.
- Ensure content is created with gameplay requirements and technical specifications in mind, to ensure that art, design and technology converge to create the best possible product.
- Provide feedback on art content as it’s produced.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in game development, with at least 5 of those years in Art Direction.
- The ability to work through people and inspire others to excel.
- A keen eye for visuals, understanding what good looks like in terms of composition, palette, silhouette, and motion.
- An understanding of the importance of visual and thematic consistency, and how to achieve it.
- Working knowledge of Maya or equivalent 3D software.
- An affinity and knowledge of the technical side of game art.
- Experience building, and managing, teams.
- The ability to thrive in and promote a culture of collaboration and transparency.
- Good visual, written & verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work and lead remotely.
- Some experience in multiple facets of game development: concept art, modeling, sculpting, animation, graphic design, illustration, VFX, tech art.
- Experience working with Agile.
- Experience succeeding in a matrix organizational structure.
- Exposure to long term studio or team growth, from small to large.
About Phoenix Labs:
We make games because we love them, and because we love the way they bring people together.
When we established Phoenix Labs in 2014, it was with the hope of creating a place where diverse teams of people could come together to build deep multiplayer games. We've assembled an experienced, passionate team of 100+ developers across our locations in Vancouver, BC, and San Mateo, CA.
Our first game, Dauntless, launched in 2019, and was the first game ever to release with true crossplay and cross-progression. Since then, we've watched our community grow to 20+ million players across four platforms. We're also backed by Garena, our long-time partner and one of the largest forces for gaming in Southeast Asia and emerging markets.