Greetings from Phoenix Labs!
Whether you’re hunting behemoths with your friends in Dauntless or rekindling the magical energy of Azoria in Fae Farm, our worlds empower players to share enduring stories like never before. Around here, we believe people are the ends, not the means. It’s how we strive to be a destination for developers who wish to collaborate on making timeless games enjoyed by players all over the world.
As a Lead UX Designer, you will create and communicate an inspiring vision for the User Experience on a new/original IP. You will draw from your rich understanding of games to inform decisions, while educating others and elevating the team's solutions. You will work closely with gameplay designers to direct UX work for real-time in-world gameplay features, This position requires infinite creativity, passion, and a relentless attention to detail.
Phoenix Labs is a dynamic and iterative environment. We pride ourselves on our ability to continuously improve and do hard things. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
- Design, document, and develop AAA quality UX for game systems in UE5.
- Drive cross-team collaboration to help define and achieve system goals.
- Develop functional wireframes and user flows.
- Direct UX work for real-time in-world gameplay features.
- Rapidly build and iterate on prototypes and test assets.
- Work closely with UX research to ensure designs meet our key KPIs. This includes being accountable for ensuring that the data seen in the live environment informs future iteration.
- Collaborate with UI artists, designers and engineers to implement designs in UE5.
- Remain current on game industry trends including new games and game genres, emerging game design methods and techniques.
- Wealth of experience making clean and intuitive experiences in games.
- Strong knowledge of interactive visual design principles.
- Ability and willingness to tackle technical problems, while quickly learning new tools and workflows.
- Clear communicator with a level head and drive to improve.
- Must be a team player and excited to collaborate with other artists, designers, and engineers.
- Proven experience collaborating with gameplay designers to direct UX work for real-time in-world gameplay features.
- Understanding of general UI/UX principles.
- Proficient with Figma or equivalent prototyping tools.
- Passion for video games, with a relentless thirst for learning from playing them.
- Experience and excitement around the creative and sandbox genres.
- Must be humble, hungry, and excited to help those around them do their best work.
- Experience working on multiple platforms (PC, Console).
- Experience with implementation in Unreal Engine 5.
- Experience working on a live product.
Please note that our compensation varies between the US & Canada as each market has a different cost of labor.
Phoenix Labs believes in pay equity and we welcome conversations with candidates on how their salary expectations align with our established ranges. As you progress through the interview process, it may be determined that your experience might align better with a higher/lower level of position than you originally applied for and, should that happen, we will discuss the new pay range with you before moving forward with additional interviews or an offer.
US Benefits - Phoenix Labs offers competitive benefits including comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans as well as HSA/FSA options. For 2023, we match employees contributions to their 401(k) up to 5% of their salaries. We provide employees with a flexible PTO plan, 11 paid holidays for 2023, and unlimited sick time.
Canada Benefits - Phoenix Labs covers the cost of basic medical for employees and their dependents, in addition to offering generous Dental and Paramedical Services. For 2023, we match employees' contributions to their RRSP up to 5% of their salaries. We provide employees with a flexible vacation plan, all the Provincial Statutory holidays, and unlimited sick time.
Benefits listed may vary depending on the nature of your employment and/or work location. Benefit plan details will be provided upon a candidate receiving an offer of employment.
Who We Are
We make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives. Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a desire to innovate and create new kinds of core, lifestyle, multiplayer games. Phoenix Labs has physical studios located in Vancouver (BC) and Montreal, but we are open to remote or hybrid for most of our roles. We offer relocation + visa sponsorship for qualified candidates, as needed.