Greetings from Phoenix Labs!
Whether you’re hunting behemoths with your friends in Dauntless or rekindling the magical energy of Azoria in Fae Farm, our worlds empower players to share enduring stories like never before. Around here, we believe people are the ends, not the means. It’s how we strive to be a destination for developers who wish to collaborate on making timeless games enjoyed by players all over the world.
Lead Audio Designer
Phoenix Labs is looking for a talented and versatile Lead Audio Designer to spearhead the audio efforts of one of our R&D projects early in its development. Working within a nimble, small, cross-disciplinary team of skilled developers, you will become the keystone developer for the audio discipline within the product. You will work with vision holders and stakeholders to establish the audio direction of the game, create hands-on audio content yourself, as well as manage sourcing any additional needs through third parties (outsourcing / contractors). As a Phoenix Labs game developer, you’ll be expected to produce world class experiences, elevating what’s possible in games, leveraging considerable experience one day, and learning new skills the next.
- Craft a unique and iconic audio landscape by being an expert individual contributor some days and a manager of external vendors other days
- Work with key vision holders to create and implement VO, music, and sound design across all aspects of the product
- Build a strategic approach to technical implementation, pipelines and organization
- Work closely with other disciplines to reinforce and enhance game mechanics, themes, and art direction
- Source, manage, mentor, and direct external vendors
- Make the final decision on when it is best to create or purchase SFX based on quality requirements and time constraints
- Minimum of 5+ years of sound design experience in game development
- Technical skills that allow you to implement audio into the game’s systems and content with minimal to no engineering support
- Experience with managing vendor/outsource audio teams and resources
- Deep knowledge of the entire audio process (VO, composition, sound design, technical pipelines, workflows, and implementation)
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- High level of leadership, ownership and self-sufficiency
- Up-to-date on industry trends, new technologies, and best practices
- Familiarity with the Unreal Engine
- Shipped at least two high quality titles
- A deep love for multiplayer live service games, especially competitive or PvP games
- Familiarity with Audiokinetic Wwise
- Understands mobile game development constraints
Who We Are
We make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives. Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a desire to innovate and create new kinds of core, lifestyle, multiplayer games. Phoenix Labs has physical studios located in Vancouver (BC) and Montreal, but we are open to remote or hybrid for most of our roles. We offer relocation + visa sponsorship for qualified candidates, as needed.