Greetings from Phoenix Labs!
Whether you’re hunting behemoths with your friends in Dauntless or rekindling the magical energy of Azoria in Fae Farm, our worlds empower players to share enduring stories like never before. Around here, we believe people are the ends, not the means. It’s how we strive to be a destination for developers who wish to collaborate on making timeless games enjoyed by players all over the world.
As the Design Director, your primary role will be to shape, articulate, and drive the game design vision for Dauntless, our flagship game. With your rich understanding of gaming and ability to inspire teams, you will provide thought-provoking solutions that elevate the player experience. Collaboration with other discipline leaders will be key in aligning designers' efforts with product strategy, ensuring consistent, high-quality results. This is an opportunity to transform and improve a live game with an established community.
- Uphold and communicate the game design vision, collaborating with other leaders to define and implement that vision
- Guide the design discipline of the game team, establishing direction and overseeing execution
- Foster unity and engagement within multi-discipline groups across the design team
- Attract and retain great talent, while creating an environment where they can thrive
- Elevate the design craft within the team through mentorship and growth initiatives, ensuring quality and consistency
- Contribute at an organizational level, collaborating with other discipline leaders to create a healthy and problem-solving environment that elevates the strengths of the company
- Create and maintain functional design documentation, to help align, guide and promote designs
- Work within Unreal Engine to support implementation and maintenance of existing and new features
- Previous experience as a design leader/vision holder for products from pre-production through release
- Demonstrated leadership of design teams on multiple titles or substantial multi-feature updates for live games
- A track record of success with iterative development in building and shipping large-scale design features
- Experience in constructing and managing a team of designers, articulating a clear strategy and quality bar that results in a polished, cohesive player experience
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online game
- Enthusiasm for video games, with an insatiable thirst for learning
- Experience as a designer working on a live product, preferably in a Games-as-a-Service model
- Working familiarity with Unreal Engine
Who We Are
We make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives. Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a desire to innovate and create new kinds of core, lifestyle, multiplayer games. Phoenix Labs has physical studios located in Vancouver (BC) and Montreal, but we are open to remote or hybrid for most of our roles. We offer relocation + visa sponsorship for qualified candidates, as needed.