Greetings from Phoenix Labs!
Whether you’re hunting behemoths with your friends in Dauntless or rekindling the magical energy of Azoria in Fae Farm, our worlds empower players to share enduring stories like never before. Around here, we believe people are the ends, not the means. It’s how we strive to be a destination for developers who wish to collaborate on making timeless games enjoyed by players all over the world.
As a Narrative Director, your role is to spearhead the narrative vision for our new IP, collaborating with interdisciplinary teams in an R&D environment. You are a strong storyteller who knows how to leverage a game’s narrative structure and storytelling mechanics to achieve game goals and solve design challenges. You will engage in writing, creative exploration, prototyping, and implementation and testing of narrative design as we shape Phoenix Labs’ next game IP.
And together, we’ll define a new universe and context for gamers to play in around the globe.
- Oversee and drive the game’s narrative vision, fostering collaboration with the team to create a new universe where players can have unforgettable experiences
- Collaborate across disciplines to shape the IP vision, ensuring clear communication and consistency of intention, tone, and content.
- Lead worldbuilding and storytelling efforts, helping to create and grow the universe and IP
- Facilitate regular discussions and brainstorming sessions on narrative designs
- Attract, retain, and nurture a team of talented individuals, creating an environment where they can excel
- Keep abreast of industry trends, including new games and game genres, and emerging game design methods and techniques
- Extensive experience in professional writing and storytelling, with a particular emphasis on worldbuilding
- Adaptable, passionate vision-holder comfortable working in an early stage R&D environment with a small, collaborative, experienced, cross-functional team
- Shipped at least one AAA+ online game as a narrative lead or director
- Ability to anticipate player impact and downstream effects of narrative and world-building decisions
- Experience leading and growing a team of storytellers
- Passion for video games, with a relentless thirst for learning
- Experience with social systems and meta-game systems
- Experience working on a live product
Who We Are
We make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives. Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a desire to innovate and create new kinds of core, lifestyle, multiplayer games. Phoenix Labs has teams located in Vancouver (BC), Montreal, and San Mateo. We offer relocation + visa sponsorship as needed.