Greetings from Phoenix Labs!
Whether you’re hunting behemoths with your friends in Dauntless or rekindling the magical energy of Azoria in Fae Farm, our worlds empower players to share enduring stories like never before. Around here, we believe people are the ends, not the means. It’s how we strive to be a destination for developers who wish to collaborate on making timeless games enjoyed by players all over the world.
As a Senior Technical Designer (Combat) on Dauntless, you will work to improve the experiences of combat and combat related content, such as enemies, bosses, player abilities and weapons. You will work with the team to leverage existing content in new and exciting ways, ideate and prototype new ideas and implement your work into a live game, making it ready for feedback and tuning.
- Design and implement great combat content, such as player abilities or enemy behavior
- Break down what makes combat fun, and set clear and specific goals for combat content and systems
- Communicate and champion the vision for the game’s core combat, being able to clearly explain why we should be building something and how it will be great for players
- Iterate on and validate the game’s core gameplay by running playtests, evaluate feedback, review data, and propose and implement changes
- Work with all members of the team to ensure designs stay aligned with goals, while ensuring a very high quality bar
- Remain current on game industry trends including new games and game genres, emerging game design methods and techniques
- 4+ years of experience in game development in a design position
- Experience working in the Unreal Engine
- Strong technical skills that allow you to implement content via scripting in Blueprint with minimal to no engineering support
- Has implemented enemy combat
- Passion for video games, with a relentless thirst for learning from playing them
- Deep familiarity with Action RPG games (think Monster Hunter, Warframe, Genshin Impact, etc.)
- Have hands-on play experience with Dauntless
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online game
- A passion for co-operative, PvE focused multiplayer games
Who We Are
We make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives. Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a desire to innovate and create new kinds of core, lifestyle, multiplayer games. Phoenix Labs has teams located in Vancouver (BC), Montreal, and San Mateo. We offer relocation + visa sponsorship as needed.