Greetings from Phoenix Labs!
Whether you’re hunting behemoths with your friends in Dauntless or rekindling the magical energy of Azoria in Fae Farm, our worlds empower players to share enduring stories like never before. Around here, we believe people are the ends, not the means. It’s how we strive to be a destination for developers who wish to collaborate on making timeless games enjoyed by players all over the world.
Phoenix Labs is seeking a permanent full time In-House Counsel to provide strategic legal guidance in delivering new games to a worldwide audience. You will be a key part of our corporate team, supporting the legal and business needs of the organization. You will lead the legal function for Phoenix Labs in collaboration with external partners to provide legal counsel to our executive and external development leadership. This job is a unique and inspiring opportunity to work at the intersection of new technologies, online communities, and entertainment.
A successful candidate for this role will enjoy challenging and often novel issues involving intellectual property, licensing and transactions, privacy, accessibility, and more. In this role, you are the trusted advisor who can provide practical, creative advice—even in areas with uncertain and developing legal and regulatory frameworks.
- Provide front-line counsel and advice to business executives, engineers, and game designers on a broad range of complex and developing legal and business issues related to game development, privacy, online safety, content moderation, intellectual property, operations, customer support, marketing, and compliance
- Support the legal and business needs of the organization.
- Lead the legal function for Phoenix Labs in collaboration with external partners to provide legal counsel to our executive and external development leadership.
- Work at the intersection of new technologies, online communities, and entertainment to draft and negotiate transactional documents, including agreements related to consulting, game development such as strategic partnerships, franchising, music, merchandising, software, TV and/or movies
- Law Degree from an accredited law school.
- Member in good standing of a Canadian Law Society.
- At least 8 years as a practicing commercial/business attorney or equivalent experience.
- Experience providing legal counsel either in an in-house role or to clients in the technology, entertainment or media fields
- Significant experience drafting and negotiating a broad variety of transactional agreements
Who We Are
We make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives. Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a desire to innovate and create new kinds of core, lifestyle, multiplayer games. Phoenix Labs has teams located in Vancouver (BC), Montreal, and San Mateo. We offer relocation + visa sponsorship as needed.