Greetings from Phoenix Labs!
Whether you’re hunting behemoths with your friends in Dauntless or rekindling the magical energy of Azoria in Fae Farm, our worlds empower players to share enduring stories like never before. Around here, we believe people are the ends, not the means. It’s how we strive to be a destination for developers who wish to collaborate on making timeless games enjoyed by players all over the world.
Our Design Team at Phoenix Labs is growing and we have multiple positions to fill and are open to mid and senior level designers. As an Enemy Designer, you will work on a new cross-platform free-to-play multiplayer action game in an original IP. You will work with the lead designer to ideate, prototype, and implement combat related content such as enemies and bosses.
- Designing and implementing great enemy content by working with the art department to design their theme and visuals in addition to scripting their abilities and behavior
- Breaking down what makes fighting enemies fun, and helping to set clear and specific goals for the overall game’s combat experience
- Working with the level design lead to create thematic encounters composed of enemies, environmental gameplay content, and more
- Iterating on and validating content by running playtests, evaluating feedback, reviewing data, and proposing and implementing changes
- Remain current on game industry trends including new games and game genres, emerging game design methods and techniques
- 2+ years of experience in game development in a design position for mid level; 4+ years of experience in game development in a design position for a senior or lead level
- Strong technical skills that allow you to implement content via scripting in Blueprint
- Experience working in the Unreal Engine
- Passion for video games, with a relentless thirst for learning from playing them
- Deep familiarity with top-down action games (think Hades, League of Legends, V-Rising, Diablo, etc.)
- Familiarity with AI Behavior Tree systems, especially Unreal’s BehaviorTree/StateTree
- A passion for competitive multiplayer games
- Competence in other disciplines, such as programming, art creation, or production
Who We Are
We make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives. Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a desire to innovate and create new kinds of core, lifestyle, multiplayer games. Phoenix Labs has teams located in Vancouver (BC), Montreal, and San Mateo. We offer relocation + visa sponsorship as needed.