Greetings from Phoenix Labs!
Whether you’re hunting behemoths with your friends in Dauntless or rekindling the magical energy of Azoria in Fae Farm, our worlds empower players to share enduring stories like never before. Around here, we believe people are the ends, not the means. It’s how we strive to be a destination for developers who wish to collaborate on making timeless games enjoyed by players all over the world.
As a gameplay engineer, you will work collaboratively with designers and fellow engineers to implement efficient, maintainable game systems. Our team puts creating great player experiences first and foremost, and you will be a critical part of making that possible. An ideal candidate will bring a collaborative mindset and be comfortable working in large codebases.
The successful candidate must have strong C++ skills and a desire to solve problems in an R&D environment. The applicant must have strong debugging and optimization skills combined with prior experience building and maintaining player-facing gameplay systems.
- Design, prototype, implement and test gameplay features and supporting systems.
- Produce tools or debug features to help designers or programmers develop gameplay features.
- Consult with other engineers and designers on the team to develop systems in support of R&D prototyping, as required.
- Coordinate with other teams to enhance R&D efforts collaboratively.
- 5+ years of software experience in the games industry.
- Comfortable working in an ambiguous R&D environment.
- Highly proficient in C++.
- Experience prototyping game features in a multiplayer environment.
- Strong debugging and optimization skills.
- Good knowledge of UE5 and Blueprints.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Driven and self-motivated.
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable working closely with designers and content developers — local and remote.
- Familiar with PC and mobile development.
- Live service experience.
Please note that our compensation varies between the US & Canada as each market has a different cost of labor.
Phoenix Labs believes in pay equity and we welcome conversations with candidates on how their salary expectations align with our established ranges. As you progress through the interview process, it may be determined that your experience might align better with a higher/lower level of position than you originally applied for and, should that happen, we will discuss the new pay range with you before moving forward with additional interviews or an offer.
US Benefits - Phoenix Labs offers competitive benefits including comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans as well as HSA/FSA options. For 2023, we match employees contributions to their 401(k) up to 5% of their salaries. We provide employees with a flexible PTO plan, 11 paid holidays for 2023, and unlimited sick time.
Canada Benefits - Phoenix Labs covers the cost of basic medical for employees and their dependents, in addition to offering generous Dental and Paramedical Services. For 2023, we match employees' contributions to their RRSP up to 5% of their salaries. We provide employees with a flexible vacation plan, all the Provincial Statutory holidays, and unlimited sick time.
Benefits listed may vary depending on the nature of your employment and/or work location. Benefit plan details will be provided upon a candidate receiving an offer of employment.
Who We Are
We make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives. Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a desire to innovate and create new kinds of core, lifestyle, multiplayer games. Phoenix Labs has physical studios located in Vancouver (BC) and Montreal, but we are open to remote or hybrid for most of our roles. We offer relocation + visa sponsorship for qualified candidates, as needed.