Greetings from Phoenix Labs!
Whether you’re hunting behemoths with your friends in Dauntless or rekindling the magical energy of Azoria in Fae Farm, our worlds empower players to share enduring stories like never before. Around here, we believe people are the ends, not the means. It’s how we strive to be a destination for developers who wish to collaborate on making timeless games enjoyed by players all over the world.
Right now, we are looking for a Lead Environment Artist with an eye for detail and a passion for creating stunning realistic environments to join one of our unannounced original IPs. In this role, you will use your talents to collaborate with our art team in the creation of large-scale environments and game-ready assets. You will be focused on creating environments which tell the stories of the people and their motivations through their surroundings. Leveraging your skillset, you will create visual appeal by striking a balance between realism, simplification, and exaggeration in a new stylistic art approach. You will help drive quality and accountability of environments to meet the visual goals of the project.
The ideal candidate has a keen eye for artistic fundamentals, nerds out about the details of a composition that has something to say, and is a strong collaborator who takes the time to entertain all ideas with the willingness to develop the best one together. As a lead artist, you understand how to solve a variety of production challenges given the team, product, and company constraints.
- As the Lead Environment Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director to define quality and construct 3D environments that deliver consistent, high-quality environmental assets and worlds
- You will work to develop a new realtime style which makes use of realism but implements the art technique of sophisticated illustration
- You will help drive quality and accountability of environments to meet the visual goals of the project
- You will lead the environment art pipeline, dependencies, and understand the overall scope of the project
- You will work with game design to prototype and build gameplay-centric worlds and levels
- You will build individual art assets, from foliage to city clutter, in a realism-stylized hybrid style with a painterly take
- You will build and manage a team of Environment Artists
- Several years experience as a Lead, Senior, or Principal Environment Artist
- Demonstrate excellent foundational skills, including composition, design, structure, silhouette, sculpting, and color theory
- Experience building, managing, and mentoring a team
- Experience working in the game industry and have shipped titles
- Strong knowledge of modern level creation best practices
- Familiarity with Maya, Photoshop, and ZBrush
- Ability and willingness to tackle technical problems and quickly learn new tools and workflows
Who We Are
We make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives. Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a desire to innovate and create new kinds of core, lifestyle, multiplayer games. Phoenix Labs has teams located in Vancouver (BC), Montreal, and San Mateo. We offer relocation + visa sponsorship as needed.