Greetings from Phoenix Labs!
Whether you’re hunting behemoths with your friends in Dauntless or rekindling the magical energy of Azoria in Fae Farm, our worlds empower players to share enduring stories like never before. Around here, we believe people are the ends, not the means. It’s how we strive to be a destination for developers who wish to collaborate on making timeless games enjoyed by players all over the world.
Right now, we are looking for a Materials Artist with an eye for detail and a passion for creating stunning realistic materials/textures with an illustrative influence to join one of our unannounced original IPs. In this role, you will use your talents to collaborate with our character art team in the creation of materials for in-game characters. You will help drive quality and accountability of materials to meet the visual goals of the project.
The ideal candidate has a strong artistic background, passionate about creating high quality assets that help push the visual quality of our game worlds, and is a strong collaborator who is willing to solve a variety of production challenges. Your expertise to bring our characters to life.
- As a Materials Artist, you will work and collaborate as part of the character art team to create detailed textures and materials for characters utilizing provided concept art and references
- You will live in Unreal's material editor to create complex shaders that mimic illustrative techniques
- You will create in-game assets in a realistic meets illustrative style in realtime through materials and shading development
- You will work closely with the Rendering Engineer to develop character sculpting shapes through material development
- You will work closely with the Lead Character Artist and Art Director to keep quality and style consistent across all characters
- You will oversee the development of a material library
- 4+ years experience as a Materials/Texturing Artist or Environment Artist with knowledge of material pipelines
- Experience within the film, TV, or gaming industry
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your artwork to very high standards
- Solid understanding of realism and stylized anatomy, sculpting of clothing, and hard surface skills to achieve the visual look established by the art direction of the game
- Understanding of traditional illustration techniques is a major bonus
- Familiarity with Maya, Photoshop, and ZBrush
Who We Are
We make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives. Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a desire to innovate and create new kinds of core, lifestyle, multiplayer games. Phoenix Labs has teams located in Vancouver (BC), Montreal, and San Mateo. We offer relocation + visa sponsorship as needed.