Phoenix Labs is looking for a Design Director to join one of our new game initiatives in our Vancouver studio.
This person will work directly on a new project and will shape and implement the design vision of the product, communicating it to the team and the studio as a whole. They will use their deep, rich understanding of games to inform their decisions while elevating the team’s understanding of strong video game design. They will work with other discipline leaders to align with the product strategy and develop gameplay experiences that lead to clear player outcomes.
Phoenix Labs is a dynamic and iterative environment. We pride ourselves on our ability to continuously improve and do hard things. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a mosaic group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
Applicants must live or be willing to relocate within commuting distance to the Vancouver studio. This is a full-time, permanent position. This job is unsuitable for remote employees.
- Champion the design vision of the game, working closely with other discipline leaders to define and execute on that vision.
- Use a variety of tools to ensure a multi-discipline team is fully engaged with the vision and is excited to work together to deliver it.
- Advocate for relevant emerging trends in the game design space and how they can be adapted for the product. Highlight what current high-water marks look like within similar spaces in games and how those will drive player perception and expectations for the product.
- Deliver prototypes and prove out early product-level design risks.
- Contribute at an organizational level by working with other design vision holders to mold a healthy & collaborative problem solving environment helps to elevate the strengths of the entire team.
- Remain current on game industry trends including new games and game genres, emerging game design methods and techniques.
- Extensive experience being a design vision holder for products from inception through to launch
- Experience leading design teams in shipping multiple titles or large multi-feature updates for live games.
- Experience prototyping, designing, and developing action-combat encounters and compelling progression systems.
- Enthusiastic to be hands on with the product - skilled at implementation and prototyping.
- A track record of using iterative development to build and ship large-scale design features to millions of players.
- Passion for video games, with a relentless thirst for learning from playing them.
- Familiarity with online social systems and open-world level design.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Proficiency at scripting in game engines.
- Experience working on a multi-platform game.
- Experience building and managing a team of designers through strong articulation of a strategy and quality bar that resulted in a polished, cohesive player experience.
Who we are:
At Phoenix Labs, we make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives.
Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a singular mission: Do the best work of our careers creating timeless games, powered by trust, courage, and an unwavering regard for players and each other.
Phoenix Labs have studios located in Vancouver, Montreal, Los Angeles, and San Mateo. We are backed by Garena, our long-time partner in Southeast Asia.