Phoenix Labs is looking for a Game Design Director to join one of our new game initiatives based out of our Vancouver studio.
This person will work directly on a new IP and will shape and communicate the design vision of the product to the team and the studio as a whole. They will use their deep, rich understanding of games to inform their decisions while educating and elevating the team's solutions. They will inspire their team to create memorable experiences for the player by helping cross-discipline teams with thoughtful solutions. They will work with the other discipline leaders to align the efforts of designers to the product strategy, helping teams to consistently achieve great results for players.
Phoenix Labs is a dynamic and iterative environment. We pride ourselves on our ability to continuously improve and do hard things. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
Ideal applicants will live or be willing to relocate within commuting distance to a Phoenix Labs studio (Vancouver, Montreal, Los Angeles or San Mateo). This is a full-time, permanent position.
- Champion a clear design vision of the game, working closely with other leaders to help define, communicate, and execute on that vision.
- Lead the design discipline of the game team, setting direction and guiding execution.
- Unite designers in multi-discipline groups across the team, ensuring that they are engaged with and excited about the design vision.
- Mentor and grow designers to a high standard of design craft, ensuring the whole team is operating to the highest quality.
- Contribute at an organizational level by working with other design directors to mold a healthy and collaborative environment of problem solving across the organization, ensuring that design helps to elevate the strengths of the entire company.
- Highlight relevant game industry trends, including new games and game genres, emerging game design methods and techniques.
- Prior experience as a design director or vision holder for products through pre-production, production, and release.
- Experience leading design teams on multiple titles or large multi-feature updates for live games.
- A record of success using iterative development to build and ship large-scale design features.
- Experience building and managing a team of designers through strong articulation of a strategy and quality bar that resulted in a polished, cohesive player experience.
- Enthusiasm for video games, with a relentless thirst for learning from playing them.
Who we are:
At Phoenix Labs, we make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives.
Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a singular mission: Do the best work of our careers creating timeless games, powered by trust, courage, and an unwavering regard for players and each other.
Phoenix Labs have studios located in Vancouver, Montreal, Los Angeles, and San Mateo. We are backed by Garena, our long-time partner in Southeast Asia.