Phoenix Labs is looking for a Principal Combat Designer to join one of our new game initiatives. As a Principal Combat Designer this person will work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team of designers, engineers and artists to develop responsive and rewarding combat experiences. They will be foundational in developing combat experiences that make up some of the most core moments of the game. They will thrive on this team by being humble, intrinsically motivated, continuous learners, owners and true collaborators.
- Build and deliver core combat for character and vehicle based combat experiences in a variety of environments.
- Leverage their deep knowledge of the 3 C’s (Character, Controls & Camera’s) to bring a responsive and rewarding experience to players.
- Design and implement inspired abilities, weapons and movement modes.
- Inspire other designers to a high standard around the craft and tools of design, ensuring the whole team is operating to a high quality standard.
- Collaborating with multiple disciplines, ensuring the correct partners are involved and informed throughout the development process
- Remain current on game industry trends including new games and game genres, emerging game design methods and techniques.
- Deep understanding of key components of a fun and compelling player experience for combat.
- Experience and proficiency in designing and implementing combat systems, combining gameplay, animation and input.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Worked on multiple AAA online games and owned a significant portion of the systems design.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, pitch, and implement game combat systems using various tools.
- Passion for video games, with a relentless thirst for learning from playing them.
Who we are:
At Phoenix Labs, we make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives.
Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a singular mission: Do the best work of our careers creating timeless games, powered by trust, courage, and an unwavering regard for players and each other.
Phoenix Labs have studios located in Vancouver, Montreal, Los Angeles, and San Mateo. We are backed by Garena, our long-time partner in Southeast Asia.