Greetings from Phoenix Labs!
Whether you’re hunting behemoths with your friends in Dauntless or rekindling the magical energy of Azoria in Fae Farm, our worlds empower players to share enduring stories like never before. Around here, we believe people are the ends, not the means. It’s how we strive to be a destination for developers who wish to collaborate on making timeless games enjoyed by players all over the world.
Phoenix Labs is looking for a talented and broadly experienced Director of Production. As Director, Production, you’ll lead a passionate, multi-discipline development team to create a genre-defining game for a global audience. Leading engineers, artists, game designers and other producers, you’ll inspire creativity, oversee development, guide the team through obstacles, and push projects past the finish line.
As the Director-level Producer, you will partner with the Product Director on strategic and long term planning, and be accountable for the overall delivery of this exciting new IP. You’ll help deliver and innovate the game at every stage of production.
This role is open to remote candidates residing in the US or Canada. Hybrid work options available for candidates living in or willing to relocate to Vancouver, Canada where our headquarters is located.
- Responsible for overall delivery of a game from ideation, prototype, pre-production and beyond, directing all aspects of game development
- Partner with the Product Director to manage and support a cross-functional development team of software engineers, designers, and artists to execute the strategic vision of the project
- Build a team of developers
- Ensure key game features and product choices further the strategic vision of the product
- Accountable for all production aspects of the game team, including headcount and staffing allocations, organization structure, team health and performance, budget, forecasts, scheduling, quality, and project planning and tracking.
- Build excellent relationships across Phoenix Labs studios, as well as with our partners and community.
- Actively manage and mitigate risk, and lead problem resolution as issues arise.
- Support the team’s growth and development, and ensure they’re empowered to do their best work.
- Manage the team’s overall execution strategy, identifying critical path issues, removing roadblocks, and driving efficiency and accountability in execution
- Lead the team to excellence, while fostering a positive team culture and an environment that motivates developers to bring their best
- Develop an understanding of and empathy for our players which you’ll use to make player-focused decisions
- Create plans, reports, and updates that keep partners and customers informed about status, progress, risks, and considerations
- 12+ years of experience in games production roles with at least 7 of those years in an internal AAA game development studio
- Shipped at least 1 multi-platform game title with end-to-end production experience, incubation to live.
- Shipped minimum one live service game in a leadership role, and is familiar with running and maintaining a game service with regular updates.
- Is a steady and practiced hand at steering a game’s production through the different stages of development.
- Experienced in scaling and managing a cross-functional development team from the small size of early stage development through to the larger size of production, launch, and live service.
- Strong written and verbal communicator who is capable of building alignment with large and varied groups.
- At home in a cross-functional, team-based environment, and has the ability to thrive in and promote a culture of collaboration and transparency.
- Strategic thinker with high proficiency in various project management methodologies, who knows when to apply which methodologies to drive toward effective outcomes.
- Highly proficient at core project management skills and able to share knowledge by coaching or training others in skills like planning, scheduling, estimation, risk assessment, capacity planning, scoping, budgeting, and staffing.
- Adept at preparing mitigation and contingency plans before problems occur within a team or project.
- Deep experience with or certification in Agile and Scrum methodologies.
- Deep knowledge of games, relevant gaming audiences, and the gaming industry.
- Experience leading and functioning in ambiguous, collaborative environments with team members of several levels and disciplines.
- Experience maintaining excellent relationships with stakeholders.
- Experience managing other managers.
- Experience leading and bringing a large scale multi-year and successful game to market.
- Experience in early product ideation.
- Experience with Confluence, Jira, Google Suite, Slack.
- Experience with Unreal Engine and Perforce.
Nice to Have:
- Advanced proficiency in a development discipline (engineering, design, or art)
Who We Are
We make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives. Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a desire to innovate and create new kinds of core, lifestyle, multiplayer games. Phoenix Labs has physical studios located in Vancouver (BC) and Montreal, but we are open to remote or hybrid for most of our roles. We offer relocation + visa sponsorship for qualified candidates, as needed.