Phoenix Labs is looking to hire an experienced Services Software Engineer. The ideal candidate is an effective communicator who thrives in a collaborative environment, working closely with programmers, designers and production staff. They are enthusiastic about owning reliable high-traffic services, game code and infrastructure to support a cross-platform multiplayer game under development by our San Mateo (SF Bay Area) studio.
We strive to work in nimble, empowered teams that are aligned around bringing players together through deep multiplayer games. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
- Work with project leads in cross-discipline teams, to design, implement, and support reliable, secure, and scalable backend services.
- Design, implement, and support the Integration of online services into client and server applications.
- Create and maintain online services such as hosted game servers, game persistence APIs, or matchmaking services.
- Make architectural recommendations for performance, stability, and security.
- Support development of continuous integration and delivery pipelines, and automated testing.
- Ensure systems are in place to monitor application performance and detect defects in the live product.
- Assist with planning, estimation, and distribution of work.
- Minimum 5 years experience building online services or in game backend development.
- Experience developing in Python and C++.
- Experience developing web applications and RESTful services.
- Experience with database technologies.
- Self-starter who works well within a creative team.
- Enthusiasm for multiplayer gaming.
- Experience supporting a live service at scale with frequent refreshes of content and code.
- Experience deploying and supporting applications on cloud platforms (Google, AWS).
- Experience with container-based deployment and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience with multiple web technology stacks and SaaS models.
Who we are:
At Phoenix Labs, we make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives.
Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a singular mission: Do the best work of our careers creating timeless games, powered by trust, courage, and an unwavering regard for players and each other.
Phoenix Labs have studios located in Vancouver, Montreal, Los Angeles, and San Mateo. We are backed by Garena, our long-time partner in Southeast Asia.