We are looking for a broadly experienced Engineer with expertise in procedural generation to join our San Mateo studio and work on an original new IP. We strive to work in nimble, empowered teams that are aligned around bringing players together through deep multiplayer games. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
As a senior software engineer, you will work collaboratively with the Product Director, design team and fellow engineers to architect and implement efficient, maintainable game systems. Our team puts creating great player experiences first and foremost, and you will be a critical part of making that possible. An ideal candidate will bring a strong optimization toolkit, comfort working in large codebases, and a track record of pushing the state of the art.
The successful candidate must have strong C++ skills and have a passion for problem solving in an R&D environment. They will help us create compelling procedurally generated worlds and be comfortable with performance optimization. This engineer should be passionate about building tools in collaboration with creative stakeholders.
- Work with designers to build out procedurally generated content, make it fun to play and visually appealing.
- Collaborate with artists and designers to help us reach ambitious visual targets.
- Build highly optimized systems using multi-threading and compute shaders.
- Consult with other engineers and designers on the team to develop systems in support of R&D prototyping, as required.
- Coordinate with other teams to enhance R&D efforts collaboratively.
- 7+ years of software experience in the games industry.
- Comfortable working in an ambiguous R&D environment.
- Highly proficient in C++.
- Experience with procedural world generation algorithms such as erosion, noise functions and weather modeling.
- Strong debugging and optimization skills in a multi-threaded environment.
- Good knowledge of UE4 and Blueprints.
- Ability to work at the intersection of art, design and technology.
- Has been responsible for driving the technical vision of a large system or area of the game.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Driven and self-motivated.
- Experience optimizing for mobile hardware.
- Familiar with PC, console (XBox, PlayStation, Nintendo).
- Live service experience.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.