We are looking for a versatile Gameplay Engineer to join our San Mateo studio and work on an original new IP. We strive to work in nimble, empowered teams that are aligned around bringing players together through deep multiplayer games. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
As a gameplay engineer, you will work collaboratively with designers and fellow engineers to implement efficient, maintainable game systems. Our team puts creating great player experiences first and foremost, and you will be a critical part of making that possible. An ideal candidate will bring a collaborative mindset and be comfortable working in large codebases.
The successful candidate must have strong C++ skills and a desire to solve problems in an R&D environment. The applicant must have strong debugging and optimization skills combined with prior experience building and maintaining player-facing gameplay systems.
- Design, prototype, implement and test gameplay features and supporting systems.
- Produce tools or debug features to help designers or programmers develop gameplay features.
- Consult with other engineers and designers on the team to develop systems in support of R&D prototyping, as required.
- Coordinate with other teams to enhance R&D efforts collaboratively.
- 5+ years of software experience in the games industry.
- Comfortable working in an ambiguous R&D environment.
- Highly proficient in C++.
- Experience prototyping game features in a multiplayer environment.
- Strong debugging and optimization skills.
- Good knowledge of UE4 and Blueprints.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Driven and self-motivated.
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable working closely with designers and content developers — local and remote.
- Familiar with PC and mobile development.
- Live service experience.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.