We are looking for a talented and broadly-experienced Character Artist to join our San Mateo studio. You will collaborate closely with our Art Director — as well as work with a cross-discipline team to develop gold-standard for characters and scale the content pipeline for an original game IP.
The successful candidate will have a deep love for creating whimsical and delightful stylized characters, and experience in leading a team to do the same.
- Partner with our Art Director to establish and push the visual target for character art.
- Work in a cross-discipline team with game designers, engineers, and other artists to prototype and build the foundational content of this new IP.
- Work with the team to conceive, visualize, and execute on character art.
- Maintain quality, style consistency, and technical requirements.
- Mentor, train, and force-multiply other character artists.
- Help to identify, refine, and communicate best practices for techniques, and technical pipelines.
- Collaborate with our Art Director and vision holders to find solutions which balance creative visions with production realities.
- Minimum 10+ years of experience in game art, including 5 in character art.
- Strong knowledge of modern character creation best practices.
- Experience creating stylized, non-photorealistic characters and 3D assets.
- Experience with engine and game performance and optimization.
- Familiarity with Maya, Photoshop. Zbrush and Substance Designer/Painter.
- Ability and willingness to tackle technical problems and quickly learn new tools and workflows.
- Experience giving direction and art feedback to other artists on craft.
- Strong communicator.
- Experience leading and managing a character focused art team.
- Experience with creating character customization systems.
- Experience working in Unreal Engine 4.
- Is passionate about games, and enjoys playing as well as developing.
- Experience developing live, in-release products.
- Experience working in multiple phases of game development — early prototyping through launch through live service.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.