We are looking for a talented and broadly-experienced Environment Artist to join our San Mateo studio. You will collaborate closely with our Art Director – as well as work with a cross-discipline team – to develop the environment art style for an original game IP. The successful candidate will have a deep love for building 3D environments for our players to explore, and experience in leading a team to do the same.
- Partner with our Art Director to establish and push the visual target for a new game IP's environment art.
- Work in a cross-discipline team with game designers, engineers, and other artists to prototype and build the foundational building blocks of this new IP.
- Work with the team to conceive, visualize, and execute on environment art.
- Work collaboratively with the cross-discipline team to balance creative vision with production needs and technical considerations.
- Build individual art assets, and help others to elevate their work.
- Minimum 10+ years of experience in game art, including 5 in environments. Strong knowledge of modern level creation best practices.
- Experience creating stylized, non-photorealistic levels and 3D assets.
- Experience with engine and game performance and optimization.
- Familiarity with Maya, Photoshop. Zbrush and Substance Designer/Painter.
- Ability and willingness to tackle technical problems and quickly learn new tools and workflows.
- Experience giving direction and art feedback to other artists on craft.
- Strong communicator.
- Experience leading and managing an environment-focused art team.
- Interest/experience with generating procedural art/solutions.
- Experience creating environments in Unreal Engine 4.
- Is passionate about games, and enjoys playing as well as developing.
- Experience developing live, in-release products.
- Experience working in multiple phases of game development — early prototyping through launch through live service.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.