Greetings from Phoenix Labs!
Whether you’re hunting behemoths with your friends in Dauntless or rekindling the magical energy of Azoria in Fae Farm, our worlds empower players to share enduring stories like never before. Around here, we believe people are the ends, not the means. It’s how we strive to be a destination for developers who wish to collaborate on making timeless games enjoyed by players all over the world.
We are looking for a broadly experienced Senior Gameplay Engineer to work on an all-original new IP. We strive to work in nimble, empowered teams that are aligned around bringing players together through deep multiplayer games. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
As a gameplay engineer, you will work collaboratively with the Product Director, design team and fellow engineers to architect and implement efficient, maintainable game systems. Our team puts creating great player experiences first and foremost, and you will be a critical part of making that possible. An ideal candidate will bring a strong optimization toolkit, comfort working in large codebases, and a track record of pushing the state of the art.
The successful candidate must have excellent C++ skills and have a passion for problem solving in an R&D environment. The applicant must have experience developing highly efficient gameplay for a networked game. They must demonstrate prior ownership of systems with strong top-to-bottom design and implementation. This engineer should be self directed and passionate about great gaming experiences.
- Design, prototype, implement and polish gameplay features and supporting systems.
- Produce tools or debug features to help designers or programmers polish gameplay features.
- Analyze and mitigate risk in the gameplay development schedule.
- Consult with other Engineers and Designers on the team to develop systems in support of R&D prototyping, as required.
- Coordinate with other teams to enhance existing R&D efforts collaboratively.
- Work closely with QA and technical leadership to ensure the stability of game features and systems.
- 7+ years of software experience in the games industry.
- Comfortable working in an ambiguous R&D environment.
- Highly proficient in C++.
- Experience prototyping game features in a multiplayer environment.
- Debugging and optimization skills in a multi-threaded environment.
- Good knowledge of UE4 and Blueprints.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Has been responsible for driving the technical vision of a large system or area of the game.
- Driven and self-motivated.
- Deep knowledge of at least one of the following areas: AI, combat systems, network optimization, simulation systems.
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable working closely with designers and content developers — local and remote.
- Familiar with PC, Console (Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo) and mobile development.
- Live service experience.
Who We Are
We make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together, and enrich our lives. Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a desire to innovate and create new kinds of core, lifestyle, multiplayer games. Phoenix Labs has physical studios located in Vancouver (BC) and Montreal, but we are open to remote or hybrid for most of our roles. We offer relocation + visa sponsorship for qualified candidates, as needed.