Phoenix Labs is looking for a Senior Systems Designer to join one of our new game initiatives in our Vancouver or San Mateo studio.
This person will work directly on a new IP and will work with the Design Vision Holder to identify, design and implement core systems and gameplay mechanics. They will share system designs with multi-discipline teams, working closely with them to implement gameplay mechanics. They have a proven track record of designing features, core gameplay and progression systems for a variety of titles.
Phoenix Labs is a dynamic and iterative environment. We pride ourselves on our ability to continuously improve and do hard things. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
Applicants must live or be willing to relocate to within commuting distance to the Vancouver or San Mateo studio. This is a full-time, permanent position.
- Own large portions of the game’s system design, collaborating with the rest of the team to nail down the systems and experiences.
- Pitch, design, prototype, implement, and iterate systems using a wide range of tools.
- Iterate on systems by running playtests, evaluating feedback, reviewing data, and proposing and implementing updates.
- Regularly facilitate discussions and brainstorming sessions on system designs.
- Remain current on game industry trends including new games and game genres, emerging game design methods and techniques.
- Extensive experience in professional game design.
- Strong sense of key components of a fun and compelling player experience for a game system.
- Deep experience and proficiency in designing and implementing progression and engagement systems in-engine.
- Experienced at using data and analytics to inform game and systems tuning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online game.
- Can create and iterate complex game systems, and anticipate player impact and downstream effects.
- Passion for video games, with a relentless thirst for learning from playing them.
- Experience in social systems, meta-game systems, and/or monetization.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Proficiency at scripting in game engines.
- Experience working on a multi-platform game.
- Experience working on a live product.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.