Phoenix Labs is looking for a Senior Narrative Designer to join one of our new game initiatives in our Vancouver studio.
While game writing experience is important for this role, this is a game design role first and foremost. We’re looking for a strong designer who knows how to leverage a game’s narrative structure and storytelling mechanics to achieve game goals and solve design challenges. Since we’re still a small team, this person would do some writing as part of design exploration and prototyping, as well as implementing and testing narrative design.
Phoenix Labs is a dynamic and iterative environment. We pride ourselves on our ability to continuously improve and do hard things. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
Applicants must live or be willing to relocate to within commuting distance to the Vancouver studio. This is a full-time, permanent position.
- Clearly define the game’s narrative design, collaborating with the rest of the team to nail down the game’s core narrative construction and experiences.
- Design and implement narrative designs and prototypes that solidify the game concept, and nail down how narrative will support gameplay pillars and goals in the game using a wide variety of tools and techniques.
- Iterate on narrative systems and mechanics by running playtests, evaluating feedback, reviewing data, and proposing and implementing updates.
- Regularly facilitate discussions and brainstorming sessions on narrative designs.
- Remain current on game industry trends including new games and game genres, emerging game design methods and techniques.
- Extensive experience in professional game design.
- Deep experience in designing and implementing narrative systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online game.
- Can create and iterate complex game systems, and anticipate player impact and downstream effects.
- Passion for video games, with a relentless thirst for learning from playing them.
- Experience in social systems, meta-game systems, or monetization.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Proficiency at scripting in game engines.
- Experience working on a multi-platform game.
- Experience working on a live product.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.