We are looking for a talented Gameplay Engineer to join our Los Angeles studio. We strive to work in nimble, empowered teams that are aligned around bringing players together through deep multiplayer games. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
The successful candidate must have strong C++ skills and have a passion for problem solving in an R&D environment. The applicant must have experience developing highly efficient gameplay for a networked game. They will work collaboratively with the design team in order to test a range of gameplay hypotheses involving multiplayer combat. They must demonstrate prior ownership of systems with strong top-to-bottom design and implementation. This engineer will be an advocate within Phoenix Labs. They should be self-directed, and able to identify opportunities inline with company goals and as well as build a prioritized backlog.
This role is a full-time, permanent position in our Los Angeles studio. Currently, our team is working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We’ll continue to follow local government guidelines to keep our team safe. However, once we’re able to return to normal work conditions, this role will be onsite in Los Angeles, CA.
- Designs, prototypes, implements and features gameplay features and supporting systems.
- Produce tools or debug features to help designers or programmers polish gameplay features.
- Analyzes and mitigates risk in the R&D schedule.
- Consult with other Engineers and Designers on the team to develop systems in support of R&D prototyping, as required.
- Coordinate with other teams to enhance R&D efforts collaboratively.
- 10+ years of software experience in the games industry.
- Comfortable working in an ambiguous R&D environment.
- Highly proficient in C++.
- Good knowledge of UE4 and Blueprints.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Has been responsible for driving the technical vision, backlog and development of a large system or area of a previous game.
- Driven and self-motivated.
- Deep knowledge of at least one of the following areas: AI, animation, combat systems, network optimization, metagame systems.
- Experience prototyping game features in a multiplayer environment.
- Strong debugging and optimization skills in a multi-threaded environment.
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable working closely with designers and content developers — local and remote.
- Familiar with PC, console (XBox, PlayStation, Nintendo), and mobile development.
- Live service experience.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.