We are looking for a talented Technical Director to join our growing Vancouver studio.
As the first Technical Director on a new game IP, this broadly experienced engineering leader will be the games technical vision holder and build an engineering team from the ground up. They will work with the Product Director, Art Director, Design Director, and the development team to craft a cohesive and balanced vision for product and technology needs. They’ll drive innovation and growth, and help the team explore a variety of possible engineering solutions for the different aspects of the game.
This role is a full-time, permanent position in our Vancouver studio being on site once it’s safe to do so.
- Effectively manage an iterative R&D process, with a focus on enabling the team to make informed decisions and set a technical infrastructure for long-term success.
- Inspire the team as technical vision holder and weave technology needs into the product. Develop, execute and drive a plan to make that vision a reality..
- Ensure technical excellence across the project. Provide insights on the latest industry trends and standard methodologies around game development. Decide which tools should be adopted. Focus on balancing velocity, execution, quality, and technical debt.
- Ensure good processes and practices for the long run. Define, communicate and ensure the consistent application of coding standards and guidelines to all people coding for the product. Spot horizon conflicts and raise awareness. Take preventative measures for the product as a whole.
- Build the best engineering team in Vancouver. Hire, develop and motivate a team that supports employee growth and fosters a collaborative and inclusive workplace.
- Mentor and educate engineers on decision making processes to solve large, complex problems. Uplift their accomplishments and create clarity on tackling the right challenges, highlighting opportunities for them to proactively address issues.
- Output focused - they should know what's being built, why, and how.
- 10+ years experience in AAA game development.
- Experience building a strong technical culture and leading a team of engineers to excellence.
- Communicates effectively across all discipline and domains.
- Comfortable writing code in multiple object oriented programming languages such as C++
- Strong software engineering fundamentals, and the desire to uplift even experienced members of the team through education
- Ability to be hands-on with early prototyping efforts, enabling the team to rapidly iterate on product direction.
- Experience with UE4.
- A deep understanding of the technical considerations for mobile applications.
- Experience building live service games.
- Experience scaling a team from R&D phase to production.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.