Phoenix Labs is looking for an exceptional Concept Artist to join a new game team forming in Vancouver!
This broadly skilled artist will work with the Art Director, Product Director, and the rest of the dev team to help develop the look and feel of an all-new original-IP project. They’ll be called upon to help the team explore a variety of possible art solutions for the different aspects of the game, from characters and creatures to the world itself.
This role is a full-time, permanent position in our Burnaby studio. Currently, our team is working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We’ll continue to follow local government guidelines to keep our team safe. However, once we’re able to return to normal work conditions, this role will be onsite in Burnaby.
Applicants must live within commuting distance to the Vancouver studio. This is a full-time, permanent position. This job is unsuitable for remote employees.
- Work with the Art Director to develop the art style of an original game IP, through visual exploration and look development.
- Collaborate with modelers, animators and technical artists to design a roster of highly emotive creatures that are appealing, unique and contemporary.
- Create high level, blue-sky concept art of gameplay scenes and settings. Participate in brainstorming sessions and create mood boards to communicate ideas and goals.
- Support internal and external production artists by providing feedback and paintovers to help achieve the game’s artistic vision.
- Work collaboratively with designers and 3D artists to balance creative vision with production needs and technical considerations.
- 5+ years experience in concept art.
- Experience in, and a portfolio highlighting, appealing and whimsical character and creature design.
- Ability to create concept art that’s thematically aligned with gameplay experiences and goals.
- Strong collaborator and communicator.
- Illustration skills.
- Experience working in non-photorealistic, “mass-appeal” art styles.
- Games industry experience.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.